This job is no longer available
The role offers the opportunity to influence and manage the planning and execution of Operations strategy within the cluster. Interaction with senior management in the organisation as well as teams based across the cluster, regional and global offices (South Africa Denmark) in addition to the off-site support teams in India and Philippines which will broaden the learning horizon. The role comes with an excellent opportunity to learn skills in influencing various stakeholders, including high level ones within the maritime industry.
- Overall supervision of Equipment (Container) Management and Intermodal Operations within CWA cluster (comprising Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, and Niger).
- Close coordination with the Cluster Operations manager to ensure successful implementation of deliverables as specified by various internal stakeholders geared towards achieving set organisational objectives.
- Assist and guide daughter countries (Benin, Togo, Ghana and Niger) in the daily execution of Equipment Management, EMR (Equipment Maintenance and Repairs) and intermodal tasks plus reporting.
- Maintain equipment inventory stock at a level that meets local export and evacuation requirements at the lowest possible storage cost, by closely working with the local commercial teams and the regional operations centre in Capetown, South Africa.
- Coordinate the prompt transfer of import and export containers to/from the ICDs (Inland Container Depots) and port, while managing relationship with the ICD operators and haulage service providers in Nigeria and assisting daughter countries in optimizing similar processes.
- Ensure container assets are optimally utilized, by focussing on longstanding units in close coordination with Customer Service and Sales departments.
- Plan and execute inland related procurement services by conducting negotiations, selecting suppliers and establishing service level agreements on behalf of the Line with an aim to ensure the most efficient operations on cost effective terms.
- Perform stakeholder management by maintaining excellent working relationship with all existing and potential service providers as well as maritime authorities by having regular dialogue with them covering the area of responsibility with reporting to the senior management whenever required.
- Conduct regular ports/terminals and ICDs related infrastructural capacity reviews to ensure that Maersk takes proactive actions to avoid any bottlenecks.
- Ensure compliance with global SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure) to facilitate excellent functional performance as well as alignment of local inland operations setup with the global strategy.
- Continuously monitor the market development in terms of rates and service levels for various services procured to ensure that the organisation always maintain the highest performance at the lowest possible cost.
- Ensure visibility on performance management for all relevant Key Performance Indicators for Cluster Operations team.
- Coach and develop direct reports while fostering a cross-functional approach to problem solving within the department.
Who we are looking for
- Hands on experience in Operations within the shipping industry and/or Inventory management experience in an FMCG environment.
- Operations experience of one to two years would be an advantage; however, liner shipping experience of at least two years is preferred.
- Have good leadership and inter-personal skills.
- Excellent PC skills including working knowledge of Microsoft office, Business Objects and SAP.
- Possess entrepreneurial skills and be innovative in approach.
- Be competitive, result oriented and have good negotiation skills.
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- People management skills
- Adaptation to EDI / E-Commerce / new technology
- Stakeholder management